Are you searching for an easier and more convenient way to build processes and applications? For the best outcomes, low-code development is the ultimate answer. In this post, we will help you know about low-code development and how you can leverage the benefits of low code platforms.
What is Low Code?
In the rapidly growing digital era, every business looks forward to emerging and competing with the digitization pace. Whether it is small-scale or big-scale, every organization understands the requirement of digitizing the entire business. The organization making use of conventional methods might find it challenging to meet the ever-growing business need.
Businesses that have started using advanced technologies like Machine Learning might consider making use of low-code development services. In addition to delivering the overall ease of use, low code application development helps in speeding up the development process. This is because you are not required to write the entire code manually.
Low code can be regarded as a visual approach to ensuring software development that helps in optimizing the entire software development process. It also helps in accelerating the delivery of the software product. With the help of low code, you are capable of abstracting and automating every single step of the software application lifecycle. It ensures the streamlining of the deployment of a wide range of solutions.
As you break down conventional silos of IT and business, your company can think of developing solutions to meet the unique needs of your business. Low code can be regarded as an agile alternative to conventional software development. Both non-professionals and professionals can look forward to developing complex applications for meeting business requirements like digital transformation acceleration and process automation.
What is Low-code Application Development?
Low code web development is a software development process that is gaining impetus in the modern era. Low code requires minimal to no coding for the development of applications and processes. A low-code development platform will make use of visual interfaces with the help of drag-and-drop features and simple logic even after different coding languages. These intuitive tools allow users without any formal knowledge of coding or software development to develop applications for multiple purposes -including mobile apps and business apps.
The use of low-code development platforms is increasingly becoming popular. This is because it serves to be a fast and easy alternative to traditional processes of software development. Both professional developers and amateurs can think of using the feature-rich low-code platform for developing interactive apps of varying complexities. These platforms can be utilized for achieving demands for seamless development, pacing up digital transformation, and automating processes.
Top Benefits of Low-code Application Development
Gone are the days when it was mandatory to possess coding knowledge for ensuring application development. Nowadays, both non-developers and developers can easily create enterprise-grade applications seamlessly. Without the need for writing a single line of code, you can easily develop an interactive and user-friendly application. Low-code application platform development is the answer.
With the use of a low-code development platform for application development, stakeholders in your organization can convert IT and business ideas into a functional app within some minutes. The demand for no-code or low-code has increased significantly quite recently. As per a study report, it is estimated that the no-code movement will be worth around $21.2 billion by the time of 2023.
Some benefits of low-code mobile app development are:
- Improved Agility: As new challenges keep affecting operational inefficiencies, remote workforces, and customer experiences due to the pandemic, agility cannot be an option. It should be made your company’s topmost priority. A recent survey reveals that the number of applications that are developed every day is increasing at a steady pace. On the other hand, the total time to create the applications remains the same. This is wherein the role of low-code or no-code development comes into play. A low-code development platform helps in enhancing the agility of the developer by helping the professional design as well as deploy applications quickly. Most low-code platforms are known to automate everything -right from building to testing. This helps in saving ample time and allowing developers to work on complicated projects.
- Rapid and Simple Prototyping and Development: While conventional coding requires someone to input the code, the concept of low-code application development takes up a highly visual approach. As a number of pre-written modules are available with the given platforms, the use of the simple drag-and-drop feature in the workflow is only needed. In addition to developing applications at a rapid rate, the availability of reusable components and templates can help the developers in creating prototypes quickly and easily. Unlike conventional software development technologies, which could take several months to develop new apps, low-code application development platforms, low-code development platforms can help in building an enterprise-ready app within just a few weeks.
- Limited Coding Knowledge and Expertise Needed: A low-code application development platform is easier for most individuals having minimal or no technical knowledge and skills. If you are creative and understand basic desktop applications, you can develop enterprise-grade applications on the low-code platform. In comparison to conventional development technologies, the learning curve with a no-code or low-code development platform is quite simpler. The feature of live support and help files make sure that your understanding of the capabilities of the platform is faster and easier.
- Within Schedule and Planned Budget: IT departments within organizations are mostly known to struggle to stay within schedule and budget while developing apps traditionally. Moreover, the teams are also under-skilled and understaffed. It is because of the rapid changes that keep taking place with respect to the programming languages and development standards. In such a scenario, low-code application development can help in doing away with most of the complications from the developers. It makes developers easier and faster to master the development platform. Developers also get access to the most commonly-used components readily. This helps in saving the overall development effort while making sure that the project is delivered on time.
- Improved Innovation: Successful IT organizations are the ones offering their employees with the right tools and technologies needed for designing and developing their custom IT solutions. Such organizations also offer access to relevant education and training courses to simplify the tasks. With approval and reviewal processes in place, both employees and IT organizations can come across some mutual benefit in the development of citizen-built applications. The rise in demand for low-code platforms or business solutions does imply that traditional programming is non-functional. A low-code strategy aims at helping your developers with basic applications and relieving them from always fixing bugs and updating programs. It offers them access to more time such that they can focus on complex applications instead of innovations. A Low-code development team is expected to improve the overall alignment between IT and business. It helps in streamlining the unique partnership between IT and business. It enables both parties to make the most of their unique abilities and skills.
- Reduced Burden of Maintenance: Low-code software development reduces the overall burden of maintenance. It is achieved by eliminating the complicated processes of day-to-day development. As components have been ready-made, pretested, and standardized, there is the occurrence of fewer integration issues and bugs to deal with. As less time is spent on maintenance, developers are able to focus on innovative work driving greater business value.
- Democratization of Software Development: It will offer users access to business or technical expertise -including Machine Learning, data analysis, or rapid app development due to a flexible learning curve. There is no longer required of being a senior or experienced developer to make use of highly specialized systems and tools for project development.
- Improved Productivity Across Team: Low-code software development helps in bridging the existing gaps between business and IT teams. As such, both parties are capable of solving real issues that affect the organization. Business teams are capable of creating their own applications without waiting for the developers. As the task of developing complex codes is taken away, it helps in increasing improved access to more team members -irrespective of skill. This improves productivity levels within teams. It is possible to launch and iterate new ideas effectively.
Traditional Vs. Low-code Development -Which to Choose?
Every organization out there has a fixed set of issues requiring custom solutions. Traditional app development has the capability to deliver custom apps. However, these projects usually demand increased budgets, more time to develop, increased time to market, and regular maintenance. This is the reason why a number of brands do not prefer the option of traditional application development nowadays.
On the other hand, low-code application development offers assistance to enterprises with the right tools for streamlining the process of app development. Moreover, it boosts the overall productivity and efficiency within an organization.
Here are some parameters on which you can differentiate low-code and traditional software development processes:
- Low code: You can make use of low-code platforms easily with the help of the drag-and-drop functionalities.
- Traditional coding: It is less agile. This is because there is the involvement of complex configuration codes. This makes it quite time-consuming to learn and process.
- Low-code: There is a charge for accessing the platform -not for the process of application development.
- Traditional coding: There is the involvement of higher maintenance and hiring costs.
- Low-code: Low-code platforms usually do not require any specialized skills. While there are not many tools and functions, still low-code development allows hassle-free software development.
- Traditional coding: Offers access to a number of tools and features for coming up with complex applications.
- Low-code: Here, the platforms are managed by the enterprise holding the ownership of the low-code platform.
- Traditional coding: These platforms require an in-house or third-party development team for ensuring project maintenance.
Quality of Application
- Low-code: Usually, no-code or low-code development platforms do not come up with any bug-related problems.
- Traditional coding: There can be the occurrence of bugs or errors due to the complexities and functionalities included in custom app development processes. It makes the platform difficult to use by the end-users.
Top Features of Low-Code Development Platforms
With low-code platforms, there is no requirement for talented developers with expertise in a particular programming language for building an application. People who are aware of the basic functionalities of a specific technology platform are capable of building their own programs or codes without any prior coding knowledge and experience.
Before you go ahead with the low-code development of applications, there are some core features you need to know about. Here are some:
- Mode-based Development: It is simpler to create apps with the help of visual models and methods. It makes it even simpler for business enterprises when they are aware of and understands the core logic behind what they want to develop. Reliable low-code tools or platforms will help them to achieve the same.
- Visual Development Tools: When you are using low-code systems for creating apps quickly, you need to go through the helpful visual development tools. The low-code development platforms out there offer access to robust visual development features. Therefore, it is easier to leverage the code modules visually while linking them together.
- Drag-and-drop Interfaces: When you are developing applications in a low-code system, the drag-and-drop interface is the most useful functionality. It does not just offer improved convenience, but also serves to be a necessity during app development.
- Cross-platform Functionality: With low-code development, it is possible to develop once and develop everywhere. With the advent and ever-growing popularity of mobile devices, apps should come forth with cross-functionality specifications in the respective design. It can take place automatically with the help of no-code or low-code app development. There is no requirement for extra resources or time.
- Scalability: Low-code development systems are expected to be scalable as well. They should have the ability to come up with new, innovative apps that help in managing ever-increasing users with the advancing business.
- Security: In addition to being functional and user-friendly, a low code system will also require to be highly secure. Therefore, make sure that the low-code app development platform offers ample security. It will help in safeguarding the apps you develop along with the entire platform before even using the same.
- Reusability: Leading low-code platforms offer OOTB or Out-of-the-Box functionality. It helps in minimizing the requirement of developing core app modules from scratch. It features the use of pre-configured functionalities and modules for the respective apps. These modules come forth with standard functions needed for different apps. Moreover, these modules can be used again for developing distinct solutions seamlessly. A low-code development system should allow users to reuse the newly-built or pre-built modules, complete apps, and plug-ins for designing essential apps quickly.
- Reporting and Monitoring: Apps that are developed with the help of low-code or no-code development techniques can easily monitor the workflows and processes. This allows apps to keep up with the overall effectiveness. Moreover, it is also possible to track the overall performance of the app for analysis reasons.
- Application Lifecycle Management: Low-code platforms help in streamlining and simplifying various stages in the entire software development cycle -including testing, debugging, and deployment. They provide the user access to in-depth information linked with versions for improving the app lifecycle management.
What to Create with Low-code Platforms?
From the digitization of customer interactions to the development of online portals, process improvement, to even brand-new core systems, some of the common use cases of low-code platforms are:
- Web-based customer portal: Web-based portals are perfect digital tools. These help in delivering self-service experiences. Traditional development of web-based customer portals can be time-consuming and expensive. Low-code platforms resolve the problem by allowing developers to come up with customer portals with customer-grade User Interfaces. Moreover, organizations can develop the customer interface once while reusing the same several times for different purposes.
- B2C Mobile App: Investing in new digital experiences -like mobile apps, can help in improving overall customer satisfaction and increasing business revenues. Low-code platforms help in simplifying the development of custom mobile apps for organizations having existing employees -all with the help of a single platform. Mature low-code systems make use of React Native for developing native apps for Android and iOS.
- Core Systems: With the help of a contemporary core system, organizations can meet the preferences of both employees and customers. Moreover, organizations can also adapt to the latest business solutions while quickly scaling as they grow. The involvement of low code in the development process makes use of an agile methodology for completing the application lifecycle. The given strategy makes sure that business and IT fields work together towards lowering the overall risk of a failed project.
There is so much more to the concept of low-code application development. If you wish to upscale the application development process in your organization, you can hire reliable low-code application development services. As the trend for low-code development is growing at a rapid rate, it is high time that you should consider transforming your business into a successful one.