As a business owner, you must have varied demands and requirements when it comes to web app development. The type of functionality, software integration, and level of customization; everything could be different than other businesses requirements. Custom web app development can meet all your current needs covering all these parameters and even future needs without letting you invest again and again.
However, it is only possible if you have right approach, knowledge of technology stack, and know how to build a web app. We got you covered. Continue reading this blog post to know what you need to know about the custom web app development.
Step Into the World of Custom Web App
Stage 1: Know The Basics
A custom web app is a type of application that runs on a website and downloadable as well. This can be static as well as responsive depending upon what you want to give to your customers. The web application is designed with the same concept you would have for mobile application. From the look and feel to functionalities, it can be customized according to the user interaction with your services.
These apps are typically accessed via web browsers and built from the ground up, taking into consideration the business's objectives, workflows, and branding. However, they have come in different types according to the industry and functionality. Let’s have a look.
Stage 2: Explore the Options
Understanding the different types of custom web apps and how they can benefit your business is important to make better selection. We will cover the following categories:
Enterprise Web Apps: If you want to solve a bigger problem within your organization, like say you need an application to manage your human resource team, then developing an enterprise web app is the right choice. Similarly, web apps for supply chain management, customer relationship management, and so on fall under this category. Typically, they have complex functionalities and features and designed to boost business operations and efficiency.
However, enterprise web app development is expensive due to the complexity, large tech stack, and number of users involved.
E-commerce Web Apps: Businesses that sell products or goods should leverage eCommerce web applications to showcase their wide range of products and reach untapped customers beyond the physical boundaries. Through this platform, they can give customers the convenience of shopping 24x7 which today’s modern customers explicitly expect.
CMS Web Apps: Having a Content Management System at your side means less dependency on developers, though you’d still need them if your website has complex features. With a CMS web apps, uploading, editing, refreshing, and managing the different content types would be easier for your team.
Apart from content management, these web apps let you uplift the SEO game to reach audience through search engines. It means more visibility and visitors who could be your potential customers. And the best part of custom CMS web apps that multiple users can access its features. Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, and Kentico CMS are a few examples which you must have used or may be using.
Portal Web Apps: Running a business requires everyone on the same page and have access to necessary information. A portal web app is used for this purpose. It acts as a single point of truth with all the information and resources needed by the employees, business partners, vendors, and customers. These portals are commonly used in intranets, extranets, and internet-based environment and have user-based roles, permissions, and preferences to safeguard the data.
Besides these, there are many more types of custom web apps, but the above-mentioned ones are crucial for businesses irrespective of the industry they are in.
Stage 3: Excellent Features for Excellent Performance
Without brilliant features, your custom web app means little important to the users. That’s why you should consider adding features that would prove valuable to them. However, the type of features varies depending upon the type of web apps. Here are a few features that must be common in all applications:
1. Secure user authentication and access control
2. Intuitive and user-friendly interface for easy navigation
3. Robust database management for efficient storage, retrieval, and management of the app’s data
4. Encryption of sensitive data to protect the app and user data against common vulnerabilities
5. Secure integration with all the third-party applications and system for additional functionalities like payment gateways
6. Fully customized web app to offer personalized experience to the users
7. Automatic updates to fix bugs
Error handling and logging mechanisms, backup and disaster recovery mechanisms, mobile responsiveness, etc., are few more must have web app features.
Stage 4: Learn the Development Stages
Whether your in-house technical team is developing the custom web app, or you have opted for custom web application development services, knowing the stages involved in the process will help you analyze the progress.
A Great Concept
Your web app product must have solid foundation, means it should be built to solve real-world problem. This requires extensive market research and identify what problems your targeted audience is facing and how you can solve it through custom web app development solutions.
Once you know what to develop and what features it would have, start the custom web app development with a prototype. It includes creating a wireframe of the application with only basic features to support its functionality. This will help you analyze whether the application has any potential or not. On the basis of user feedback, make necessary changes in the application.
If the MVP gets a green signal, its time to develop the final product which would enter the market. From UI/UX design, front-end and back-end development to database creation, development phase involves everything.
The Testing Part
Testing won’t be the last step in the custom web app development, it would be an iterative process so that the end product is flawless. However, there won’t be a single way to test the application. QAs will perform different types of software testing such as unit testing, regression testing, acceptance testing, and many more to test the application on the grounds of compatibility, functionality, and usability.
Deploy If All Goes Well
Once the web app passes all the tests and you are sure it is ready for the launch, its time to deploy the app. At this stage, you must choose the hosting platform and type of hosting such as shared hosting, cloud, and dedicated hosting. Also, make sure that maintenance and upgradation is easy after the application is launched so that users can access new features without any inconvenience.
Section 4: Find the Ideal Partner
If in-house development is not your forte, choose custom web app development services. That would be a cost-effective option and you would be assured that everything is handled by the experts.
But this is only possible when you pick the right partner. Here’s how to do it.
- Assess their experience and skillset as per the latest trends in the web application development. This ensures that app will be developed according to current needs of users and will remain competitive in the market. Also, experienced developers can design app irrespective of complex features it has.
- Do not forget to check their portfolio. It will help you understand which industry they have served so far and what type of projects they have done.
- Assess the company's tech stack and development process to evaluate their approach and expertise on technologies and tools.
- Look for a development company that follows established project management methodologies, offers clear communication, regular updates, and adheres to deadlines.
- Ensure they provides ongoing support and maintenance services post-launch of the application.
- Look for timely bug fixes, security updates, and scalability support to ensure the smooth operation of your custom web app.
- Evaluate their pricing structure and payment terms.
- Effective communication and collaboration are crucial for a successful partnership. Look for a development company that values clear and open lines of communication, understands your requirements, and provides regular project updates.
- Request client references or case studies to gain insights into the development company's past projects.
Remember to choose a reputable and experienced development company that aligns with your goals, technical requirements, and budget, ensuring the development of a robust and efficient custom web app.
Softude fits in all of your criteria while giving you the valuable custom web app. Our expert developers have hands-on experience on latest technologies such as AI to make the application competitive and attractive. We have served across various industries, from automotive, healthcare, retail, eCommerce, to banking and finance. Our versatility and quality work talks for us.
Contact us today to get in touch with us.